Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) is the European cousin to the blueberry and contains active ingredients that support vision. It was frequently used by World War II RAF pilots to enhance night vision.
Studies with bilberry show that it helps eyes adapt to the dark, especially after prolonged exposure to bright light and improves visual acuity in dim light. The active ingredients in bilberry, anthocyanosides, are a group of flavonoids that increase the production and integrity of collagen, a protein that forms connective tissue in the body. Bilberry is also used to treat artery, vein and capillary disorders. Bilberry extract has become the leading herbal prescription for the maintenance of healthy vision and for the treatment of many eye diseases.
- Improves visual acuity and night vision while reducing eye strain
- Supports microcirculation, and promotes healthy blood vessel integrity
- Useful for glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, and other artery, vein, and capillary disorders
- Helps protect LDL (“bad”) cholesterol from oxidative stress
- Supports collagen formation and may help in the treatment of inflammatory joint conditions